Terry Brandt Matt Miller Miguel Velez Christoph Kikat Matthias Eichenseer
1. Meeting started on time Feb 8, approx 9:30 am.
2. Practice Area Charts: We need input & comments from all concerning update of the diagram.
Current pdf & large zipped file on the AFTW website are the last version, showing Luke SATR. However, the IWA Letter to Airmen discouraging training in parts of the Southeast area between 3,000 & 5,000 MSL can be translated onto the diagram with an expanded opaque gray area, similar to what’s used in areas with dense IFR practice. In order to de-clutter the chart, some sector lines may be dropped.
3. Use of practice approaches to CGZ and P08 (Coolidge) seems to be as high as ever, including active use of the discouraged “mock-NDB” procedure at Coolidge, and opposite-direction GPS 23 at CGZ.
4. In the Buckeye area, there have been several near-midairs between weekend parachuters and aircraft transitioning North/South between KBXK and the Luke SATR/ White Tank Mtn range. Initial drop heights and positions will vary according to wind. We request all aircraft be on CTAF and work with the jump planes to minimize conflicts.
5. CFI initial checkrides: The Scottsdale FSDO “Contact Us” page will have a direct link for registering initial instructor candidates. Other groups such as DPEAG will point their links to this site for easier use.
6. Multiple airport construction projects are in-process around the valley – check NOTAMS.
Some include: KBXK now has new run-up areas at each end, South PAPI is OTS. KGYR has been moving hold-short lines back from the runway, and adding markings and displaced thresholds are reduced/ gone to help aircraft exit sooner. Also be mindful of aircraft exiting behind you. KFFZ will be a 1-runway airport until late April or May. Currently the bigger runway 4R/22L is closed for midfield exit changes, then in early March this work will shift to the small runway.
7. Next meeting Wed April 11th, 9:30 am at FSDO
Turnout might be improved if an email reminder were sent out to everyone 7-10 days before each meeting.