AFTW Mtg May 15, 2013 – 9:30 am
Attending: Dominic Gallo – FAA; Bill Sapp – FAA; David Kitts – Phx Helicopters; Joshua Parriott – CAE/Oxford; Gil Monti – ATCA; Dave Lindskoog – TransPac; Travis Trexler – TransPac; Patrick Oakley – KIWA Airport; Josh Klein – ATP/ASU; Matt Miller – Falcon Exec
From FAA, Runway incursion at CHD – Glasair landed on CLOSED Rwy 22L. Pilot had acknowledged ATIS and ATC clearances for 22R. Since 22L sticks out significantly farther, it’s possible the pilot fixated on the first runway he saw. However, he ignored & overflew the flashing “X” barricade and crews working near the end. After touchdown, some vehicles were able to move out of his way, others he dodged around as he rolled out. Somehow, there were no injuries or physical damage. Continue reading
Next Meeting of the AFTW is July 10th, 0930 @ the SDL FSDO, 17777 N. Perimeter Drive, Scottsdale.
Effective May 1, the Class Delta around IWA will be in effect from 5 a.m. local time (1200 UTC) until 12 a.m. local time (0700 UTC).
Details of the change for the federal contract tower are contained in a Letter to Airmen, which you can download here. (PDF, requires the free Adobe Reader.)
Fighter Combat has released a chart depicting the areas southeast of Phoenix-Mesa Gateway (IWA) airport in which they are operating Tuesdays through Saturdays.
Please be aware of these areas, their operating times and altitudes and remain vigilant to high-speed aircraft in aerobatic maneuvers.
You can download a full-sized version of the chart overlay here. (10 MB PNG)
AFTW Minutes March 13, 2013:
Dave Vangsnes Mesa Pilot Development
Mathias Eichenseer German Air Force
Dave Kitts Phoenix Helicopter
Jay Gines ATCA
Dominick Gallo FAA
Josh Klein ATP/ASU
Travis Olson CAE/Oxford
Terry Brandt DPE
Rex Ginder UND Aerospace
- APS (Fighter Combat) Discussed awareness and adding practice areas to AFTW Website
- CAE Phased transition of Oxford from GYR to FFZ is forecast to be finished by the end of the year
- Please monitor Estrella Sailport frequency if transitioning the area on a XC or otherwise, Skydive operations are in the area!
- Remain vigilant for traffic at “The Stack” at CGZ. Use your frequencies and be courteous.
- Use caution for jet blast if a business jet is doing a MX run-up in the redbox area located west of taxiway yankee at IWA.
- Please keep transponders in the “ON” position while moving on airport surfaces per the AIM.
From the DPEs:
1. Applicants need work on playing the role of the PIC during checkrides. DPEs cannot make decisions for them.
2. SRM skills need to be utilized more and backup equipment should be used if available. Above all, fly the aircraft first!
During practical test, the pilot being evaluated IS the PIC with all the authority and responsibility of that role. Therefore the applicant single uses pilot resource management (SRM) knowledge and skills making good decisions and managing risks during the test.
Next Meeting May 15th, 0930 @ the SDL FSDO.