This section includes links to selected NTSB accident reports that present clear examples that can easily be used to create training scenarios.
Keep in mind that these are not necessarily reports about “stupid pilots.” Typically they involve very intelligent pilots who made some stupid mistakes. We need to remember that we are all susceptible to similar mistakes and we need to do our best to learn from what they did wrong.
So is flying safe? It is when we actively work to manage the inherent risks. Click HERE to learn more (PDF, requires the free Adobe Reader).
Selected Reports (sorted by NTSB identifaction number)
- ANC00LA029: Scenario for IFR multi-tasking
- ANC02LA022: Scenario for inadvertent gear up landing
- ANC02LA104: Scenario for inadvertent gear up landing
- ANC03LA076: Fuel exhaustion scenario
- ANC03LA125: Scenarios related to checklist usage and in-flight distractions
- ANC04LA009: Scenario for descending below minimums
- ATL04CA129: Scenario for avoiding thunderstorms
- CHI00LA116: Scenario for inadvertent gear up landing
- CHI02LA111: Scenarios for following company procedures and avoiding thunderstorms
- CHI04LA042: Scenario for stabilized approach to landing
- CHI04CA095: Scenario for flying a stabilized approach to landing and prompt instructor action
- DEN00LA179: Scenario for inadvertent gear up landing
- DEN01FA030: Scenarios for using current charts, proper use of pilot controlled lighting, and not descending below minimums
- FTW00LA078: Scenario for inadvertent gear up landing
- IAD03FA005: Scenarios for using approved GPS receiver and proper altimeter setting
- IAD03LA022: Fuel exhaustion scenario – The CFI didn’t check the fuel
- IAD03LA036: Scenario for propeller safety and use of illegal drugs
- LAX03CA208: Scenario for following minimum safe altitudes and proper go-around procedures
- LAX04CA093: Scenario for proper touch and go procedures
- LAX04CA130: Scenario for airport familiarization and careful taxi procedures
- MIA99FA168: Scenario for crosswind control during takeoff
- MIA04CA005: Scenario for performing a careful preflight inspection
- NYC01FA058: CFIT scenario
Recommend additional NTSB reports by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (please include the official NTSB identification number).