Instructions and Disclaimers
Please carefully review all of the information on this page.
This page contains AFTW recommended practice area reporting points and procedures for the Phoenix-area, Northern Arizona, and Southern Arizona. Each pilot has the responsibility for knowing and following all required FAA practices and procedures.
Always practice FAA-recommended visual scanning procedures, even when communicating on practice area frequencies and utilizing ADS-B traffic information.
Remember that not all pilots know about these practice area frequencies and reporting points.
Please direct any pilots who are operating in the Phoenix-area to this site.
ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot GPS Overlays
Option 1: All Practice Areas in one overlay
- One file to download and import
- All practice areas are displayed together
- All Practice Areas – version 13 (Direct Link / Google Drive Link) – Updated 1-11-2023
Option 2: Separate overlays for each practice area
- This option provides the ability to select which practice areas are displayed
- Foreflight allows multiple overlays to be displayed at the same time
- Garmin Pilot only allows one displayed overlay at a time
- Northwest Practice Area – version 12 (Direct Link / Google Drive Link) – Updated 9-27-2022
- Northeast Practice Area – version 12 (Direct Link / Google Drive Link) – Updated 9-27-2022
- Southwest Practice Area – version 12 (Direct Link / Google Drive Link) – Updated 9-27-2022
- Southeast Practice Area – version 12 (Direct Link / Google Drive Link) – Updated 9-27-2022
- Rainbow Valley Practice Area – version 12 (Direct Link / Google Drive Link) – Updated 9-27-2022
- Lufthansa Practice Area – version 12 (Direct Link / Google Drive Link) – Updated 9-27-2022
- Prescott Practice Areas – version 12 (Direct Link / Google Drive Link) – Updated 9-27-2022
- Tucson Practice Areas – version 12 (Direct Link / Google Drive Link) – Updated 9-27-2022
VIDEOS: How to Download and Use the Overlays
Practice Area Videos
Thank you to Emmanuel Tempelman for providing these excellent videos!
- Northwest Practice Area Video
- Northeast Practice Area Video
- Southwest Practice Area Video
- Southeast Practice Area Video
- Rainbow Valley Practice Area Video
Northern Arizona Practice Areas and Procedures
Southern Arizona Practice Areas and Procedures
- Marana Airport Operations
- Tucson Practice Areas
- Tucson Practice Areas Document
- Tucson International Airport (KTUS) safety briefing addressing runway incursions
PDFs of Phoenix Practice Area Charts (updated 1-8-22)
- Northwest Practice Area
- Northeast Practice Area
- Southwest Practice Area
- Southeast Practice Area
- Rainbow Valley Practice Areas
Luke AFB / Rainbow Valley Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
- The official MOU only applies to certain operators.
- All pilots are encouraged to follow these procedures.
- Click HERE for the MOU.
KIWA – Allegiant RNA Visual Rwy 30L Approach Procedure
Be aware of Allegiant approaches during training flights
Arizona Skydiving Operations
- Current Information (Google Doc)
- We did this with a Google Doc so that each operator can easily update their own information as needed.
- If you run a skydiving operation in Arizona, please contact the AFTW to get Editor access to the Google Doc.
- Please spread the word to pilots and other skydiving operators. Thank you!
From the Flight Deck Videos Currently Available for Arizona Airports
|Chandler Municipal Airport (CHD)||https://youtu.be/IvMF-jFDDhM||https://www.faa.gov/CHD|
|Deer Valley Airport (DVT)||https://youtu.be/2xYS3Zyn3uA||https://www.faa.gov/DVT|
|Falcon Field Airport, Mesa, AZ (FFZ)||https://youtu.be/_tRIShTBZzk||http://www.faa.gov/FFZ|
|Flagstaff Pulliam Airport (FLG)||https://youtu.be/V4LMuBINoTg||https://www.faa.gov/FLG|
|Marana Regional Airport (AVQ)||https://youtu.be/kTBHrJnpGeo|
|Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (IWA)||https://youtu.be/G9nrLD6OM_s||https://www.faa.gov/IWA|
|Prescott Regional Airport – Ernest A Love Field (PRC)||https://youtu.be/WPbqla6oSS8||https://www.faa.gov/PRC|
|Sedona Airport (SEZ)||https://youtu.be/hWrb-xCK1rA|
|Tucson International Airport (TUS)||https://youtu.be/MDbCHubAvzE||https://www.faa.gov/TUS|
About From the Flight Deck
The FAA’s From the Flight Deck video series addresses runway safety at airports across the nation. The short videos use aircraft-mounted cameras to capture runway and taxiway footage, combined with diagrams and visual graphics to highlight hot spots and other safety-sensitive items. The videos give a general aviation pilot’s viewpoint, and are a helpful tool for preflight planning.
In addition to airport-specific videos in 38 states, the series offers videos on topics such as Wrong Surface Landings, Complex Airfield Geometry, Wrong Direction Intersection Takeoffs, and Winter Weather Challenges. There are over 100 videos in the series currently available, with more in development.
Learn more about From the Flight Deck at faa.gov/flight_deck, check out a map of all current and forthcoming airport video locations, or watch From the Flight Deck videos on general aviation safety challenges or complex airfield geometry challenges pilots may encounter. Subscribe to the FAA’s YouTube channel to be notified when new videos are published.